Whether you are upgrading avionics or needing repairs of your existing equipment, our state-of-the-art Aero Maintenance avionics department can have you on your way in a timely manner and at competitive prices. We maintain a full range of avionics options supported by Garmin, Bendix/King and other high quality manufacturers.
Avionics Manager Greg Howard brings 30 years of experience to the licensed repair facility. In addition to being licensed as an A&P and FCC First Class Radio Telephone operator, he is an accomplished aerobatic pilot. He specializes in component level repair and stocks an extensive parts inventory.
We specialize in:
We are an authorized dealer of:
Information on the FAA ADS-B mandate
What is ADS-B?
The Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) is a system that is a collection of technology on board aircrafts that transmits position information once a second. The FAA mandated deadline is January 1st, 2020 to install ADSB on all aircraft in the US.
Europe’s mandate is on June 7, 2020, and Australia’s mandate was finished in December 12th, 2013. For more information, please go to http://www.faa.gov/nextgen on this ADS-B mandate.
Did you know that…
- There are roughly 1200 business days until January 1st, 2020.
- 157,000 aircraft still need ADS-B equipment installed; which means that 130 aircraft need to be upgraded to ADS-B per day.
- Currently, there are an estimated 20 ADS-B upgrades per day.
The future in here now…Why wait? Don’t be the last person in line!
Do I need ADS-B on my aircraft?
In order to operate in the Class B and Class C airspace or fly above 10,000ft, you will need ADS-B equipment installed on your aircraft.
What are the benefits for me for having ADS-B?
- More accurate navigation (if you choose to add a GPS to your aircraft)
- Be able to see the traffic around you so therefore, no traffic awareness equipment is needed.
- Free in-flight weather: weather subscription services such as XM Weather will no longer be needed.
What do I need in order to know what ADS-B equipment my aircraft needs?
In order to be compliant with the ADS-B mandate, you will need three things:
- Your aircraft will need to know the location via WAAS. Usually, this is accomplished with a WAAS enabled GPS
- To broadcast the WAAS data once every second using 978 (below 18,000 ft) or 1090 (above 18,000 ft).
- A Transponder
Here are a few scenarios that are common:
If your aircraft…
Has GPS with WAAS, you will need:
Has a GPS without WAAS, you will need:
Does not have a GPS, you will need:
If your panel does not fit the example scenarios above, take a photo of your panel and e-mail it to us so we know exactly what you currently have. That way, we can cater your ADS-B needs to your current panel.
Here are some manufacturers for ADS-B equipment: